It's about what works. A relationship blog. For all relationships - especially the one you have with yourself.
"You cut right to the heart of the matter. Your knowledge of human relationships is quite significant and intuitive."
@webmaster_ref (Twitter)

Friday, April 8, 2011

Your Personal Tipping Point

I was once in a relationship that I couldn't
leave. I should have left (and did) many
times. We weren't even married, and yet
I so much wanted it to work out, and it
was to great emotional cost to stay. It
was around the time that things finally
broke up for the last time that I realized
that one could be lonelier in a relationship
than by oneself.

It is difficult for anyone to understand a
dynamic that keeps two unhappy people in
a relationship together. Many who have
never had that dynamic think it is easy
to just walk away. If it was that easy,
many of those I talk to would. Instead,
it seems easier to cover up the wounds
and pretend like everything is OK.

The problem is that the source of the
issue is never addressed, and it can
create new wounds, and coping that way
comes at a greater and greater cost.

Eventually I was able to finally take a
stand for myself, and it took everything
I had to walk away. It just so happened
I got to my personal tipping point. I
had had enough, and I felt that I deserved
more than what I was getting (interestingly
those around me had agreed in that regard
a long time before I ever acted).

No relationship or person will ever be
perfect, but if you aren't able to be
who you are, consciously living a life
that you love, then it might be something
to really look at as it would be akin to
just handing over all of your money to
someone and saying, "Here take all this
money. It's OK if it doesn't belong to
you. I am giving you permission to walk
away with it. I like being trapped here
with you."

By your actions, are you doing things that
are trapping you and limiting your options
in regard to another? If you love someone
and feel that you'd be taking away from them
by separating, there are ways to make
things work at a distance. Sometimes it
it is a loving act to separate.

All too often society will tell us what
we should want, what we should think,
what we should accept. Perhaps all of
the time you have spent unhappy will be
the foundation for a version of you that
can have the happiness deep down you know
you deserve (odds are good you wouldn't
be trying to escape if you didn't think
you deserved more).

It is possible that the lessons we learn
in life are the things that help us to
become the person who is able to be the
kind of person who can be the ideal partner
and attract one. However for that to happen,
there are things to say, and risks to take.

If you are escaping, and feel compromised,
perhaps you can consider that there are
other options. Sometimes hypnosis can
help, too, as it may be able to help you
identify what is unconsciously tying you
to your situation.

If you're willing to go that route...and
want a guide/partner, let's talk. It's
not about me helping you to leave, but
rather assisting you to discover yourself
and what is best for you. When you
discover things you might not have known,
you may even find things shifting in your
current situation.

No one can stand up for you - except you,
and when the time is right for shifts and
changes, you will find your own personal
tipping point, and when you get to the
other side don't be surprised to hear
yourself cheering for who you have become. :)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment