It's about what works. A relationship blog. For all relationships - especially the one you have with yourself.
"You cut right to the heart of the matter. Your knowledge of human relationships is quite significant and intuitive."
@webmaster_ref (Twitter)

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

on MSG | Recipe | Homemade Bouillon

I have heard that MSG can affect our minds,
among other things. Search the internet and
you will find a myriad of not-so-good info
about it.

In general, I try to create things from
scratch, when possible, and especially
when I hear that there are things reportedly
that have a particular effect that is
detrimental. I don't know about you, but
I got enough stuff messing with my mind,
without chemicals coming into the mix.

Of course, there are various sides to any
story, and there will be those who will
say that MSG is safe, however, I would
much rather go for something that has a
better chance of being safe because I
made it.

At one point I was using a lot of bouillon,
and discovered that it, too, had MSG, so
I decided to see what I could find as
a substitute.

I found a recipe that is vegetarian
(maybe vegan?) that seems to be working
quite well as a substitute. I use it in
boiling water as I would use bouillon,
sprinkle it on various foods, like eggs
and popcorn, and have made soup with it.

On top of everything else, I would
suspect that the recipe has less
sodium content than the kind of
bouillon you buy in the store. For
anyone who is watching their intake,
I would imagine that could be a very
good thing.

I share the recipe with you, in case you
may be inclined to give it a try. If you
do, let me know what you think!

Homemade Bouillon

1c. Nutritional Yeast Flakes
1T. salt
1/2 t. ginger
1t. pepper
1t. marjoram
1t. tarragon
1t. paprika
1t. rosemary
2t. sage
2t. thyme
2t. celery seed
1T. garlic powder
1T. onion powder

I put all of the above into a
small blender/mixer and make
into a find powder.

You can figure 1T per cup of
water if you are looking for
a ratio suited to a bouillon
cube.

I bet you can find some great
uses for it, and you can
certainly mix up the ingredients
to suit your own tastes.

As a side note, Nutritional
Yeast Flakes are considered
a Super Food, rich in Vitamin B,
that have been used as a
substitute for those who do
not eat cheese. For some, it
is a very inferior substitute,
however I have tried it on
homemade pizza and omelets
and would have to say it is
not bad at all...for the
sake of the flavor, as it
certainly will not have the
grease or texture of actual
cheese.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment