It's about what works. A relationship blog. For all relationships - especially the one you have with yourself.
"You cut right to the heart of the matter. Your knowledge of human relationships is quite significant and intuitive."
@webmaster_ref (Twitter)

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Reflection of life in death

Today I was referred to the
blog of Derek K. Miller,
a man I had never even known.

From what I can tell,
he was likely a man to know.

He was dying of cancer, and
had written his last blog,
to be posted once he passed
away.

He said many things in that
post
, but one that stood out
to me was:

"I haven't gone to a better place, or a worse one. I haven't gone anyplace, because Derek doesn't exist anymore. As soon as my body stopped functioning, and the neurons in my brain ceased firing, I made a remarkable transformation: from a living organism to a corpse, like a flower or a mouse that didn't make it through a particularly frosty night. The evidence is clear that once I died, it was over."

No matter what you believe
happens when we die, there
is one thing that is certain:
the body we used ceases to be
functional or available.

That means that the unique
expression of who you are
and what you have to offer
the world also ceases to
exist.

Sadly, I think there are some
who check out early - their
body is still here, but their
mind has gone elsewhere.

I see those who get lost in
the diversions of life
because those things and
people can create their
"happy place," away from the
starker realities of what
life is. It is easier to be
caught up than it is to be
fully present and living their
life.

Whether you want to recognize
it, or not, whether you want
to appreciate it, or not,
whether you believe it, or
not, there are things that
are perfect and special about
who you are.

This is a once in a lifetime
opportunity to utilize those
things that make you, you
and for you to have the best
possible life and experiences
with the rental you've been
given.

In times of difficulty, it
is hard to see how that might
be possible. You may be too
busy judging yourself, or
kicking yourself for things
you thought should have been
some other way.

Who knows what is "supposed"
to be? I don't know that
there is a guide book anywhere,
although there are times I wish
there was so I could take a peek,
even if I couldn't know everything.

But since there is none that is
universally known of (some may
say the Bible, or some other
religious book, but that still
has a air of mystery and the
unknown, so this is not the
type of guide book to which
I refer), the best we can do
is the best we can do at any
given moment with what we have
available. And - sometimes -
there may be some slim pickings.

At the same time, we have much
that is available to us, if
we are only willing to look
and be willing to jump into
the unknown, and be uncomfortable.

There is great wealth in the
person that is you. I know
there is. That is why you
will always find me respecting
the core of who you are.

You may think you would like to
"overwrite" the person you are.
You may even think it a good idea,
but I guarantee you that a
better one is to discover how
the you that you've come to be
can find its best expression
in the world.

Given the way things are right
now...there truly is no better
time. The more people check out,
the less likely we are to get
ourselves out of this mess.

I know it can suck. I am right
there with you...but we can do
it together. Just say the word.

with Lots of Love.

Speak to me live

No comments:

Post a Comment